Situated about half a mile to the south of the old town centre and a similar distance from East Croydon Station (London 17 minutes), the property is in a street of mainly Victorian houses, many of which have been converted into flats. It is close to the Wandle Road multi-storey car park but street parking is restricted by permits. A number of large new schemes are starting to regenerate the town’s business districts and The Whitgift Centre, due shortly for redevelopment, is planned to provide over 500,000 sqft of retail space.
Providence Chapel, with date plaque 1847 on the front elevation, comprises a tall single storey brick and slate Victorian building. It is attached to Elim Cottage, a residential property in the same ownership, and adjoins on the other side a modern three storey motel. There is no onsite parking.
Set behind a wall with metal security gates and forecourt, the building has a front reception/meeting area with modern doors and screens through to a large main chapel area which accommodates seating for about 325 people. A first floor gallery with further bench seating has been added on two sides of the chapel.
There are 10 deep double glazed windows – four on each side of the chapel and two at the front – which give good natural light. The vestry and ancillary areas at the rear have double glazing, there is a rear footpath out to Wandle Road and an open passage on the eastern side of the building leading out to the front.
The chapel roof has been partially re-slated, there are plastic rainwater goods and gas central heating is installed. Fire prevention and disabled adaptation work have been carried out (see layout plan attached)
All measurements approximate, the accommodation comprises:
Shallow forecourt with steps behind retaining wall with five lockable metal gates. Separate staircase up to gallery. Alleyway/passage on eastern side.
Entrance vestibule: 37’1” x 11’10” including porch with two
external doors and two glazed doors. Side door to alleyway. Glazed
screens and doors to the chapel. 440 sqft
Chapel: 14’1” x 39’2” plus 3’7” x 4’8” storage area
Timber flooring. Approx. 25ft eaves height with decorative
Timber ceiling and 4 deep double-glazed windows in both side walls 1626 sft
Gallery: in two sections 7’10” x 37’10” and 37’1” x 11’15” 722 sqft
Main Vestry: 25’10” x 10’6” average. Three double glazed windows.
Fitted worktop with cupboards under. 271 sqft
Kitchenette: 5’11” x 3’2” off rear lobby and adjoining female toilet 19 sqft
Rear corridor through to alleyway which:
Pastors Vestry: 13’5” x 6’5” with fireplace, shelved cupboard and
Door to WC/Cloakroom. 87 sqft
Alleyway with male toilet, access to basement boiler room and
Brick store shed 2’4” x 5’11” 14 sqft
NET FLOOR AREA: 3,179 SQFT (295.34m2)
The long established D1 planning use covers worship, education and training, medical/health, galleries and creche/day nursery, although it should be noted that there is no onsite parking with the building. Other non D1 uses would require planning permission for change of use. The London Borough of Croydon planning department number is 0208 7266000.
Offers in the region of £575,000. Freehold with vacant possession. Parties making offers will be asked to provide evidence of funding.
By prior appointment with our office. Tel: 01737 245886 (ref MS).